Hemmings Auto Blogs

Friday, October 12, 2007

Farewell?

What you see here is my first car, my first car that I as a young child remember, the first car that I drove as a teenager. I was 4 years old when my uncle brought this car down to my Mom and Dad. Being as he was an employee of the Ford Motor Company he was able to follow the car through the assembly line and watch it being completed. My parents bought it(their first new car) and it was delivered to them. Many a Sunday afternoon was spent driving to the local McDonald's for a hamburger and fries, if it got hot the rear window would lower for flow thru ventilation, no need for air on this car!

Now the spectre of doom lurks for the Mercury nameplate. It appears that Mercury will be the next automobile to be discontinued, it is speculation but the sales of the Mercury nameplate is lower than Oldsmobile and Plymouth were when they were discontinued.
I'll always remember the "Old Merc"...........

No comments: