Hemmings Auto Blogs

Friday, January 18, 2008

Why we love our cars


One of the best stories to come out of the Barrett-Jackson Auction and the reason why cars are special to us, car people.(reprinted from Barrett-Jackson Auction site)


Vehicle Details
LotNumber 977
Year 1957
CarMake CHEVROLET
CarModel BEL AIR
CarStyle CONVERTIBLE
ExteriorColor ONYX BLACK
Interiorcolor RED/WHITE
Cylinders V8
Engine 283
Transmission 3-SPEED MANUAL
Summary 16,246 original miles in Onyx Black with white convertible top and red/white upholstery. All numbers matching with one 50-year owner.
Description July 25, 1957, I purchased my very first new car -- a 1957 Bel Air Chevrolet black convertible. I did not realize I had a gem of a car until 50 years later. My mother had to sign the car title to enable me to have a car loan, since I was under age at that time -- only 19. The car was titled back to me in the year 1963. I started to make the car to my liking. In 1958, I added a tonneau cover, added chrome plating to everything under the carriage that could be unbolted and re-bolted and the parts I painted. Removed the gold Bel Air grille and added a 1954 Chevy teeth. Lowered the car, added fender skirts and lakeplugs to give the car a cool look. In 1959, took out silver interior, in exchange, I wanted white and red rolled and pleated leather. In 1963, I added a racer brown cam to the 283cid engine. In 1964, I painted by hand the undercarriage 9 times. I took out car seats and side panels. I painted the interior floor and door panels 4 times with oil base auto paint in those 7 years. The cars exterior has never been repainted. Still has the same Onyx Black finish that came from the factory. All glass has factory original letters and numbers. Chrome around glass is rust-free. The undercarriage still has the factory look, as does the convertible top which looks and works like new. Under the hood is all from the factory, except for the racer brown cam. The doors still have the solid sound like it came from the factory. Why is the car in this condition after all these years? Because this is why. All year round, the last 50 years the car has never seen rain or snow. The car has been all year round in a thermostat controlled dehumidified garage. The garage is fully insulated. I removed tires and put it on jackstands with carpet laid beneath the car to keep the car from dampness. Car was driven from 1957 to 1982, mileage 7,316. Why only those miles? Got married in 1959, raised 6 children and had two jobs. Only once in awhile I would drive. My main concern was to keep it clean and make everything shine during the first 25 years. 1982-2007, another 25 years has past. Put on the remaining miles, going for short rides and car shows in the summer. "A showroom looker" everyone says at the shows, and Best of Show Award the car would get. Why am I selling this car? I will be 70 years old next year, coming to an era of my life. It needs a new home. I want someone else to enjoy the 1957 Chevy convertible as I did for 50 years. I drove the '57 on my honeymoon in 1959. By the way, in 1971, I purchased a lifetime warranty battery as long as I owned the car. I just received my 8th free battery which at the time in 1971 was called a Willard Battery, now called a Exide. How about that purchase.

Seeing the couple standing on the podium watching their car being auctioned off along with 50 years of memories brought tears to everyone's eyes.
If you are not a car person, you won't understand

No comments: